Tuesday 7 May 2013

Jumps & Spins - Skating Lesson 7th May

Today I had my usual morning (07:30am) lesson.  It got off to a dodgy start in that I almost fell over during my crossover warm up around the rink.  I had clipped the back of my blade on one foot with the toe pick of the other.  This result in an elaborate, almost dancing style slow motion save ending in a leap - but hey I didn't fall!!!

In any case after that things got better thankfully:

I had completely a nice, light Waltz jump and a nice turned out hip on the landing position - I actually sound nice and light not like a concrete elephant.

The Salchow on the other hand was not so good, for the past few weeks for some reason my Salchow jumps do not have a lot of horizontal distance but a lot of vertical.  they are high - which is good.  today my first Salchow went up high but landed on almost the exact same spot where I left the ice.  Very odd feeling.  The second and third attempts I actually moved across the ice but must remember to count this jump move and kick through a la the Waltz jump.
Remember: one ....... two........ three, kick jump!

The Toe Loop  (Cherry flip) went quiet well three out of four not cheated - though I did kick my leg to the back on two of them - bad habit, must never leave my legs behind.   I tried to convince my coach this was an elaborate variation but she was not convinced, and nor was I ( a lot of laughing over that comment!).

My top tip for completing an 'un-cheated' Toe-Loop.

You will already know this tip and it is obvious but...... Before I start just to remind everyone I am not a coach, and not saying this is the way you should do the Toe Loop or even that it is the correct way it just works for me.

The follow is for skaters who rotate clockwise like me.  If you rotate anti-clockwise like most every time it says left change it for right, and right for left etc - reverse the instructions.

Start with a forward inside arch on you right foot - based around the long axis.  When you come back to the long axis change foot for the forward inside edge left foot (power push into it).  When you come back to the long axis do a forward inside 3-turn.  Make sure you are now on the same foot but a nice deep outside edge as much as possible down the long axis.  Bring your other leg stretched behind your skating leg - nice and extended backwards. Put in the toe pick.  now lean on the toe pick and rotate it a little.  NEVER rotate the skating foot, instead lock the skating foot in position but glide the foot through past the toe pick and up into the air in a kicking action ~(your heel leading). Now when the foot is through push up off your toe pick up into the air.  It sounds more to think about than it is and it works for me!

 
 
Also my coach changed my entry into the loop Jump for the time being rather that the wide fish entry.  Skate round the rink with forward crossovers.  Hold a forward outside edge then power push into a forward inside three turn on the opposite foot hold this turn, cross your free leg over while doing the  'hip flick' and then jump.  The power push will create a large powerful jump with little effort needed for the rotation itself.  I think the more entry variations you can perform the better.

complete three Flips with no problems and OK height and nice lines - unusual to get it right first time but horray!!

Finally my Lutz ....... first three times Couldn't get it.  After a few months of not concentrating on it I have lost the knack a little.  But I realise where I was going wrong (well my fabulous coach told me).  As I put my toe pick into the ice I was trying to lift up both legs at the same time with zero rotation then trying to rotate at the top height of the jump.  This made that 'trying to break through a brick wall feeling' even worse.  The fourth attempt I completed the jump - a little low in height and slow in speed but I did it.  All I had to do with lean on the toe pick and let the rotation start a fraction while allowing the skating leg to climb up into the jump.  Also the strong arm 'wind-up' into a very quick and strong 'whip-round' to the jumping shoulder the better.  As my coach said the whole movement needs to be quick, fluid and snappy more than any other jump because there is no momentum to help.  Just need to remember all that for next time :-s.

Upright spin was ok almost out of my recent bad habit of dropping my hip at the last minute.  Sit-spin had no Sit at all need so much help with that - if anyone has any tips please let me know!  it's an SOS moment.   But my Camel Spin was better than ever and I held the position and posture well with hips open.  I thought it had gone badly but my coach said otherwise.  Her top tip was to hold hands behind your back - exactly the same as you do in the stretch position  for the gym for stretching your chest muscles (pushing your chest out) when you are in the final parallel position.

Really must conqueror the Scratch Spin position asap - I have no idea why I can't get my leg over the other one.

Next lesson revisiting the Axel and starting to look at doubles as well as further development on my new program - Zorba the Greek!

Wish me luck!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment